Tuesday, September 19, 2006

getting old(er)

I have always wondered where abouts in life one makes that transition from normal to officially old. You know what I mean, do you just wake up one day and decide it's large floral print dresses (with sleeves), vests and elasticised waists from now on? You donate everything from your younger days to goodwill and that's the end of itÉ I have a feeling it's a more gradual transition and such things creep up on you when you're not looking. It starts off by buying something that's "not so bad" and most likely on sale. Then a second item, similar but worse. Not so bad keeps evolving and before you know it you have several pair of elasticised pants and you refuse to wear anything but. They are practical after all...

The thing that always worries me is that people guilty of such things arecompletelyy unaware. They think they look good! Heck yes my maroon vest, cream collared shirt and granny pants go together! I'm looking sharp today! Where is apple shaped gold brooch? It would complete this ensemble perfectly.

This weekend I bought new shoes. New high heeled shoes. They will look super cute with many of my work clothes. I plan on wearing them with pants sometimes, and here lies the problem. I hate shoes with no socks. In the summer I will tolerate it for the sake of looking good. In the winter, forget about it. These shoes require thin socks, very very thin socks. Trouser socks. Ugh. I feel as if by even considering to purchase something called a trouser sock I have aged myself by 5 years. Of course, I'm talking black ones here. Essentially I'm talking "convenient tights." For now my move is to black trouser socks (could someone work on renaming that for the younger generation of working people? we'd pay more.) but how many years until I think the nude ones are ok? 6 months? a year? 3 years? What comes after accepting trouser socks?

And exactly how many years til I pull my dusty rose pants, cream and dusty rose floral print shirt (with matching crocheted vest for when I get cold) and toddle off to get my hair permed?

7 comments:

Not So French Girl said...

Hey hey hey. I wore those when I was 19. I was working at Eaton's and it was necessary. You can get fun patterns. They are alright.

I think you are already falling into the pit of doom seeing as you are now wearing grown-up clothes !
hehe

Anonymous said...

DS Sean said..

Didn't you walk out of the house today with a frilly, flower print dress today? Actually, you did, because I remember calling you a "schoolmarm." I think you are getting old, Chelle. But that's okay. You'll never be as old as me.

Rach said...

It's funny...I am suffering through the same anxiety with what to wear on feet with heels and pants. There are those super small socks that don't look like you are wearing socks. I think you can get them through Avon :P

chelle said...

i'm not sure i love the no socks look with pants though. c'est bizarre.

Unknown said...

I think the trick is to wear pants that are so long as to cover the exposed part of the foot that is wearing socks. That way you can continue to wear your favourite pair of light blue socks with goldfish motif with impunity.

And don't deny you have a pair. I know all of you fashionistas out there have them. It's in the handbook...

Anonymous said...

Or, you could pack up your trouser socks and heels and pants and move over here. Then you could call them bas, and feel like everyone else, including fourteen year old girls. When I bought my first pair, I felt sophisticated, not old. Note to Rach--those wee socks fall down big time. They definitley give the look of no socks, because you go around with bunch of sock around your toes.

bag marla said...

Man, I've been thinking the same thing lately. Stupid work clothes. I've been watching for the signs though. I think awareness and critical thinking are keys to preventing this sort of thing. I'll let you know how that works out for me...or maybe not?